Well, folks, it’s July 20. I’ll mark that as mid summer, despite us having a little more time on the downhill end left (if I measure summer based on the elementary school vs. preschool schedule). We are having a great summer — probably the best I’ve ever had with kids.
This summer is brought to you by no strollers (yay!), an awesome pool membership, a great vacation that really felt like a getaway, and afternoon camps. Regarding the latter, we’re lounging in the mornings and getting errands done. When the clock moves past noon, in comes fun structured camp time for the kids and work time for mama. It’s really a great flow. (Of course this will change next week when gymnastics camp runs in the morning.)
Our Pacific Northwest vacation was even more than I expected it would be. We had amazing days in Seattle, Olympia, Corvallis/Albany, the Oregon Coast, and Portland. My kids rocked the more heavy travel days and soaked in the nature and culture of each location. Highlights of the trip included:
- Taking the kids to Pike Place Market and the Freemont Troll in Seattle
- Walking around the Evergreen campus with my brother, who graduated about a decade ago
- Meeting up with my entire immediate family in Oregon — two brothers and their significant others and my parents
- Seeing my other brother’s new house in Albany, Oregon
- Taking Steve and the kids to the Oregon Coast for the first time
- Having a siblings’ afternoon at beer and cider tasting rooms while my parents watched their grandkids
- Seeing my aunt and uncle in Portland
- Going to Powell’s Books, the Oregon Zoo, and Historic Mississippi in Portland
My baby also turned five in July, celebrated with much fanfare. I’ve learned that their are upsides and downsides of a summer birthday. One downside is that you may be traveling or unable to celebrate the day of your birthday. The upsides seem to outweigh that though! Carson had multiple cakes, lots of presents, and many special events just for him. Plus he’s received an infusion of gifts almost halfway to the holidays. A great time to restock!
So that’s it for now. I hope you are having a great summer. We’re off to the pool later today — it’s going to be 95 here, which is pretty damn hot when you factor in the humidity as well!