As much as I love blogging about Nora and my life as a mama, I thought it would be fun to introduce a new regular feature to my blog so I can share other things about myself. When I feel inspired, I’ll share a list of five things grouped into a theme that says something about my current interests.
I have been a vegetarian for nearly twenty years. To keep myself stocked full of protein, I eat a huge amount of tree nuts. Lately, I am obsessed with almonds and almond-related products:
1. Almond milk. Okay, I have to admit that all of the different types of “milk” out there—rice, almond, soy—weird me out. I don’t know why, though it may be because I am not a regular milk drinker and don’t see the need for a substitute. However, I have been enjoying almond milk, thanks to a recipe from Mark Bittman. I made some chai tea with it and look forward to trying it with recently purchased Penzeys Mint Hot Chocolate.
2. Almond butter. It tastes like peanut butter, but I assume it’s much more healthy since almonds are antioxidant rich. Yum.
3. Raw almonds. So good. Love to eat them alone, in trail mixes, in just about anything. Though when I am on a big raw-almond bender, I always a ton of water too because I start getting really thirsty.
4. Slivered almonds. I remember eating these a lot when I was a kid, particularly in stir frys.
5. Almond syrup. Okay, so it’s not necessarily healthy, but I love a little almond syrup in a latte. Maybe I should try almond milk in a latte though . . . something to experiment with this winter.